I always tell my students (typically when teaching the concept of habeas corpus) that the things we find boring (or the things we take for granted) count as the ultimate compliments given to this great nation. The fact that we simply assume there will be a handing off of power a little later today, sans tanks and guns and bombs and chaos, is an assumption we're entitled to make, but that doesn't make us special. Indeed, all of humanity is entitled to this same assumption. They simply don't get what they're entitled to. We do, and we rarely take a moment to reflect upon it because we're spoiled. We've relegated the whole consideration to the realm of the trivial.
The legacy of this nation is multifaceted, and way more than a blog post can muster. Suffice it to say, we're a complicated bunch, we Americans. But we never cease to amaze the world with our feline-nine-lives capacity for renewal. Today is about that, for sure.
But, more than anything else, it's about the peaceful transition of power. I'm biased. Sorry. Peaceful transition of power is the big #1 for me (and I'd of written this if McCain had won). My mentor of many years, Sonja Ivanovic, taught me to appreciate the moment and what it really meant.
Try this: Take a map of the world and throw a dart at it. Overcome the 70+% odds of hitting water (in other words, manage to hit a land mass) and I'll give you a coin toss chance that you'll land where peaceful transition of power is a remote notion at best.
Seriously, try it. See how you do. Then reflect on how lucky you are to be here.
I just did it. I hit Indonesia.
A blog . . . in spite of how pathetic blogging actually is.
- Wellllllllllllllllllll, look at what the GOP went ...
- How I Benefit Personally from Governor Blagojevich...
- The Death of Talk Radio Cometh
- Losing a Literary Giant
- Let's Make it 21!
- Recession Proof Cloud Computing . . . and Just Cha...
- Are There Really Two Sides to Every Issue?
- Good stuff
- WARNING: This is addicting
- The GOP in White and Black
- Former President George W. Bush in Midland
- I Didn't Want to Say Anything At the Time
- Then It's Not a Bad Idea to Watch It Again
- The Speech is Worth Reading
- Today is About Transition
- Tomorrow is about Today
- I Need the Following Two People to Have Large Egos...
- The Coolest Al Franken Poster Ever
- Embrace the Moment (aka, the Horror)
- How Long Would You Do This Job?
- OnStar Nation
- A Screenshot of an Online Version of a Major Newsp...
- College Football is Stupid
- The Minnesota U.S. Senate Pool
- College Educations and the Economic Meltdown and t...
- ▼ January (26)